Thursday, May 1, 2008

Freaking Astigmatism

I have been wearing glasses since I was about three and contacts since I was in JR. High. For the most part I have never had any serious problems. When I was younger I used to not take care of my eyes that well. I would leave my contacts in weeks at a time and not change them enough. I used to sleep in them every night. As I got older I really started to care for them. I always take them out at night, I clean them a lot and I change them on time. However, recently my eyes have really been starting to bother me. They get irritated really easy and when I do take my contacts out they hurt a lot afterwards. It has been slowly getting worse and worse. On top of that I really feel like I cannot see that well.....which really pisses me off.

Fast forward to my Dr. appointment on Monday. I was telling my dr that I was having problems with my eyes and what I have been trying to do to fix it (different solutions and taking care of my eyes) she just says I should go with X brand of solution. BTW I have tried this kind, it works ok but my eyes are still kinds funky with it. She has no other solutions, doesn't even sound like she cares.

The I tell her that I cannot see very well. I explain how things appear and how it is really bothering me. Basically, things look kinda blurry to me. Not because my prescription is to high, its more like when you start to cry and things look 'watery'. She tells me that my Astigmatism has gotten worse.

An Astigmatism has to do with the eye is shaped. It doesn't let your contact sit right on your eye. My Dr. told me they have contact for this, and if it got worse I could change to them. Its just really frustrating not to be able as well as I should be. I totally don't mind wearing contacts (well maybe a little) but I hate feeling like I cannot see. Just right now I was looking down the hallway and I couldn't tell who was waving to me because I could not clearly see their face.

*sigh* I guess I should be happy that I can see at all.

4 comments:

Claire said...

Boooo on astigmatism! My right contact is an astigmatism contact and it's annoying because it's thicker than a normal contact. But I can see a lot better since I started getting it corrected... Sounds like you need a more engaging and thorough eye doc, though!

Crazydogmama said...

yeah, definately time for a new doc - maybe someone that specializes in your condition. Seeing is IMPORTANT!

That Girl said...

I'm the only one in my family without astigmatism, but everyone else wears the astigmatism contacts, so it might be something to look into.

Also, I was having VERY similar contact problems as you where I couldn't wear them for long periods of time because they'd irritate my eyes and so on and so forth, so my eye doc recommended the new "old school" approach where you put your contacts in one of those old school screw top containers and fill it with this solution that's like hydrocholoric acid or something. There's a metal disk in the container that neutralizes the acid overnight. Ever since I've been using it, contact wearing has been a lot easier.

Nanette said...

Uh-oh. I hope you're not developing kerataconus, which is what I have. It's really bad astigmatism caused by a bump on my cornea. I hope they can fix your astigmatism comfortably, not like the crazy stupid hard contacts I'm supposed to wear. :(