Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Vignettes? Yes Please!

Some people have been asking me how I add the dark to the edges of my pictures. The dark is actually whats called a Vignette. I love the way the look on a picture. The lovely and very talented Trista Lerit uses the effect on a lot of her photos. I think that it allows you to focus on the center of the photo, plus it just looks really artsy and cool.

Step 1 Open your picture in Photoshop and duplicate the background layer: Ctrl + J.

* Note it is always good to have a backup of the original layer. Keep it for 'Just in Case' purposes.


Step 2 Go to Filter > Distort > Lens Correction.


Step 3 You are going to be using the two sliders under Vignette. Moving the Amount slider will control how light or dark the Vignette color will be. The Midpoint slider will effect how big the Vignette is. Play around with the sliders until you are happy with the result. Click Ok to save and apply your settings.


You are Finished!

Try using this tutorial with some of the others posted. You might really like the way they turn out.
I added a blur to mine so you had more of a point of focus.

3 comments:

That Girl said...

groovy

Crazydogmama said...

I love your tutorials! I use them! Some of the ones I've seen online are overwhelming, I like just learning one little thing at a time. Thank you!

Jen said...

Love It!!! Thanks so much! Now I just need to play around and update my blog with some great new pics... lol!